Monday, May 17, 2021 • 8:15 a.m. • Five Star Stadium
Congratulations! We hope the information provided here will assist you and your family in planning for commencement.
Please read carefully the following statements concerning your degree requirements and eligibility to participate in the graduation ceremony.
- Students who plan to participate in the ceremony must have indicated this intention on the application for graduation submitted to the Office of the Registrar. All students who have completed all degree requirements and have properly informed the Office of the Registrar by the published deadline of their plan to participate, may march in the ceremony. Students who will finish requirements by the end of the summer semester may march only if they have been approved by the Office of the Registrar after submitting a formal petition (see Mercer Catalog). Graduate students should contact their school/college concerning eligibility to participate.
- Honors printed in the program are based on grades earned through the fall semester preceding the ceremony. Refer to the Mercer Catalog for information on the calculation of University honors.
- The traditional cap and gown are considered formal academic attire for commencement. Mercer has provided cords and medallions to indicate specific academic honors.
- A degree is awarded only to students who have satisfied all requirements of the University and the school/college certifying the degree.
- Diploma Covers will be distributed to all participants during the ceremony. Diplomas were mailed to students who completed all degree requirements in previous terms and with no outstanding financial or loan obligations to the University. For students who completed in spring semester or who will be completing in summer semester, diplomas will be mailed to the permanent home address after degree requirements are completed and certified.
- After degrees are awarded, graduates are eligible to order, at their expense, an oversized 14”X17” diploma (covers are not available). Information and order forms are available from the Office of the Registrar.
If you have any questions concerning the completion of your degree requirements and/or whether you may participate in the commencement ceremony, please contact the Office of the Registrar at (800) 342-0841 or (478) 301-2494.
Commencement will be held on Monday, May 17, 2021, at 8:15 a.m. in the Five Star Stadium. The ceremony will last approximately two hours. Please refer to the “Important Information for Degree Candidates” section concerning eligibility to participate in the graduation exercises.
Graduates must arrive at Five Star Stadium by 7:00 a.m. Enter by the Halftime House on the field level (look for signs and balloons) and proceed to your assigned seat on the field. (Seat assignments will be emailed to you prior to the ceremony).
Recommended Attire: Men should wear dark slacks, dark shoes, and a shirt with a white collar. Women should wear comfortable dark dress shoes with a dress or skirt that does not show below the gown, or dark slacks and a blouse. All graduates are required to wear a face mask.
Accessibility and Accommodation Information
Families and guests with mobility impairments may be dropped off and picked up at two designated areas located in the parking lots adjacent to Drake Field House. Drivers should display a handicap tag or identify with staff that they are using the accessibility drop-off/pick-up for a guest with mobility impairment.
Graduation Day parking for accessibility will be available in both parking lots beside Drake Field House and the College St. lot across from the Peddy Tennis Courts behind the Engineering Building. The access to these areas will be permitted with a handicap hangtag or plate (first come/first served). Once the designated ADA lots are full, additional parking is provided in the general area with shuttles to bring guests to the venue.
Complementary Wheel Chairs
Mercer University has collaborated with Scott Pharmacy to provide wheel chairs to be used by guests for travel to seating. Guests transported with the chairs will be assisted by family members and Mercer staff will accompany to return the chair to the drop off location for the next guest. Following the completion of the ceremony guests may again use the chairs to assist guests to the drop off station only.
Wheelchair Accessible seating is available throughout the stadium with companion seats:
- East Stands – Sections, 111, 113, 115
- West Stands – Section 105, 105, 104, 103
Additional seating for limited mobility and accommodation needs other than wheelchair accessible are designated in the following areas:
- East Stands – Section 116, 114, 112, 110 for limited mobility
- West Stands – Section – 101, 102, 107 for limited mobility
Individuals needing seating for visual and hearing impairments please contact the Access Office for accommodation at (478) 301-2810 or firstname.lastname@example.org by April 19, 2021.
For questions and additional information, please contact Katie Johnson at (478) 301-2810 or email@example.com. Please make requests for any accommodation including but not limited to: Seating, closed-captioning, and interpreting or other by April 19, 2021 to ensure access. We will continue to make a good faith effort to provide accommodations received after this date. All seats with handicap placards are reserved for individuals with a disability and one companion.
ROTC Commissioning Ceremony
Friday, May 14, 2021
President’s Dining Room, University Center
Directions to Macon Campus
From I-75 North (from Florida): Take I-75 North to Exit #163 (Mercer University Drive). Take a right at the top of the exit ramp onto Mercer University Drive. There are two entrances to campus. Turn left at the first traffic light onto Stadium Drive or left at the second traffic light onto College Street (Mobility Impaired Parking is accessed from both entrances).
From I-75 South (from Atlanta): Take I-75 South to Exit #163 (Mercer University Drive). Take a left at the top of the exit ramp onto Mercer University Drive and cross over I-75. There are two entrances to campus. Turn left at the first traffic light onto Stadium Drive or left at the second traffic light onto College Street (Mobility Impaired Parking is accessed from both entrances).
Parking: Parking is available throughout the campus. Parking for accessibility will be available in both parking lots beside Drake Field House and the College St. lot across from the Teddy Tennis Courts. The access to these areas will be permitted with a handicap hangtag or plate. First come, first served. Once the designated ADA lots are full, additional parking is provided in the general area with shuttles to bring guests to the venue.
Some local accommodations are listed for your information. Contact the hotels/motels for details.
- 1842 Inn: 1 (877) 452-6599
- Baymont Inn : (478) 474-4989
- Best Western Riverside: 1 (800) 528-1234 | (478) 743-6311
- Country Inn & Suites: (478) 803-8300
- Courtyard by Marriott: (478) 477-8899
- Days Inn: (478) 781-4343
- Econo Lodge: (478) 781-6680
- Econo Lodge: (478) 405-0106
- Hampton Inn & Suites: (478) 803-4900 | (478) 803-5000
- Hilton Garden Inn (Mercer Campus): (478) 741-5527
- Holiday Inn: (478) 803-8200
- Home 2 Suites by Hilton: (478) 803-5300
- Homewood Suites by Hilton: (478) 477-9776
- La Quinta Inn & Suites: (478) 475-0206
- Macon Inn: (478) 746-3561
- Macon Marriott City Center: (478) 621-5300
- Quality Inn & Suites: (478) 474-4000
- Residence Inn by Marriott: (478) 475-4280
- SpringHill Suites by Marriott: (478) 803-9100
- Towne Place Suites: (478) 812-8522
- United Inn & Suites: (478) 745-8521
- Wingate in Macon: (478) 476-8100
Electronic Guest Tickets
Due to social distancing protocols, guest tickets will be limited. Students participating in the Commencement Ceremony in Macon will be guaranteed four electronic tickets for guests. Due to these unusual times, we will not have any additional process for redistribution of tickets.
- See infographic and video for instructions on how to access your tickets.
- Electronic tickets may be accessed using this link beginning May 7 at 10 a.m.
- Tickets are assigned to your Mercer email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) and only you can access them.
- Tickets may be printed or scanned from a mobile phone.
- When scanned at the entrance of Five Star Stadium, the ticket is “used,” and anyone presenting a duplicate will not be admitted.
- These electronic tickets cannot be “lost” and, therefore, cannot be “replaced.” In addition, the sale and purchase of tickets is prohibited.
- Every person who attends must have a ticket, regardless of age. (“Lap” children up to 24 months old are not required to have their own seat)
- Please encourage your guests to enter together. Tickets are general admission (no seat assignment).
- Guest seating will begin at 7 a.m. Guests should check in using their digital or printed tickets and proceed directly to their seats. Guests should be seated by 8 a.m. Guests are required to bring and wear masks.
Please feel free to contact Box Office at (478) 301-5470 with any difficulties accessing the tickets. That line is currently staffed between 10 a.m. – 2 p.m., Monday-Friday. It is imperative that you access your tickets prior the morning of graduation. The Box Office will not be open for phone calls the day of graduation.
For guests who are unable to secure a ticket, there will be an opportunity to view the ceremonies via a live stream service at other campus locations, including the School of Medicine Auditorium, the Science and Engineering Auditorium and the Willet Science Center. Seat availability at these additional venues are first come, first served. Guest tickets are not required.
In addition, the ceremony can be viewed online at https://www.mercer.edu/commencement/macon/.
Mercer requests all participants and guests to respect the importance of this occasion and to treat it with the proper decorum. All cell phones should be turned oﬀ or on vibrate. Alcoholic beverages are not allowed in the Five Star Stadium. All areas of the stadium are smoke and tobacco free. Guests are not allowed on the ﬁeld.
For security reasons, bags will be searched upon entering the stadium. Knives, ﬁrearms, or weapons of any type are not allowed.
NOTE: The following items are not permitted in Five Star Stadium: Outside food or drink, coolers, lawn chairs, artiﬁcial noisemakers, pets (except assistance animals), umbrellas, backpacks and large bags, banners, food or drink containers, home video cameras, laser devices, seatbacks larger than 17 inches wide, ﬂags, or large gifts for graduates that can obstruct the view during the ceremony.
In the event of intense rain or other severe weather, Commencement may be delayed or cancelled. If the weather is uncertain, you may check the status by calling the University Hotline at (478) 301-5335. The Hotline will have regular updates to announce any delays or cancellations due to weather alerts.
Mercer Bookstore/Caps, Gowns and Hoods
If you missed the online ordering deadline, you can still purchase your regalia directly from the Mercer Macon Bookstore. You must contact the Mercer Macon Bookstore at (478) 301-2945 for more detailed information. Check current Mercer Macon Bookstore hours at mercer-macon.bncollege.com/shop/mercer-macon/home. Bear Wear will be opened from 7 a.m. until the end of the ceremony on the day of commencement.
The academic regalia will be yours to keep. It is important that caps, gowns, and hoods be uniform in appearance. It will not be possible to “borrow” regalia from previous graduates or to purchase from a different source other than Herff Jones as it will not match. Try on and press your academic regalia before the ceremony.
Herff Jones Company
The Herff Jones Company will be happy to assist you with the ordering of your ring or personalized announcements. You may go online for more information at herff.ly/mercer.
A photographer from GradImages® will be at your ceremony to take posed and candid photographs of you at your special moment of recognition. You will receive a free proof of these photos in the mail and/or by email as soon as 72 hours following the ceremony. After your graduation, you may order photographs online at www.gradimages.com or by calling (800) 261-2576.
You may also view or purchase event images at: mercer.edu/go/commencementphotos.
Graduate Career Outcomes Survey
Before you go out to change the world, take a few minutes to tell us about your career plans. The Mercer Graduate Career Outcomes Survey is a university-wide collaboration to capture career-related outcomes of 100% of the class of 2021.
Not sure of your post-graduation plans? We still want to hear from you. Please complete the survey and let us know your next career step, even if you are still seeking or deciding. Your information and participation in the survey is key to allowing us to best serve our alumni, and future Mercer students and families.
May 2021 graduates as well as Mercerians who completed their degree program in August 2020 or December 2020 are invited to complete the survey. Individually identifiable information is never shared with outside agencies.
Students must login using their Mercer email address in the name format (example: Toby.D.Bear@live.mercer.edu). If you have any problems accessing the survey, please email Stefanie Swanger at email@example.com.