At Mercer, our Bears are true student-athletes. Not only do they compete, they compete well — both on the fields and courts and in the classroom.
The mission of the Mercer University Athletic Department is to develop well-rounded student-athletes academically, athletically and socially. The program is committed to integrity, sportsmanship and equal opportunity for all students and staff.
Mercer University is an NCAA Division I institution and competes in the Southern Conference. Mercer first fielded an athletic team in January 1892 when its football team played the University of Georgia in Athens. It was the first college football game played in the state and one of the first in the Southeast. Mercer, in the fall of that year, would defeat Georgia Tech in its first football game ever.
Mercer Athletic Teams
Men's and Women's Sports
Mercer athletes are true “student-athletes” with emphasis placed equally on performance in the classrooms as well as on the playing fields or courts.
- Mercer Athletics was awarded a Southern Conference Commissioner’s Medal for 2017-18 with a conference-leading 86 student-athletes earning a 3.8 or better grade-point-average.
- For the third consecutive year, Mercer won the Southern Conference Academic Trophy for student-athlete performance in 2017-2018.
- Graduation Success Rate: 92 percent
- Overall student-athlete grade-point-average: 3.438 (2017-18); 3.397 (Fall 2018)
- Women’s basketball senior Amanda Thompson, an engineering major, was named a First Team Academic All-American following the 2018-2019 season, which also saw her claim Southern Conference Player of the Year honors.
The Southern Conference, which is in its 98th season of intercollegiate competition in 2018-19, is a national leader in emphasizing the development of the student-athlete and in helping to build lifelong leaders and role models. Member schools, in addition to Mercer University, include: The Citadel, East Tennessee State University, Furman University, The University of North Carolina at Greensboro, Samford University, the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, Virginia Military Institute, Western Carolina University and Wofford College.
- The University Center at Mercer is the heart of Mercer athletics and student life. Known to Mercerians as the UC, it is one of the premier playing arenas and fitness facilities in the conference. The UC provides a welcoming and accommodating space for athletes, the press and fans and is one of the most sought after event venues in Central Georgia. It houses the Mercer Athletic Department
- Bear Field, home of men’s and women’s soccer
- OrthoGeorgia Park Claude Smith Field, home of the baseball team
- Five Star Stadium, home of football and men’s and women’s lacrosse
- Hawkins Arena, home of men’s and women’s basketball teams and volleyball
- Leroy Peddy Tennis Center, home of men’s and women’s tennis
- Bear Beach Volleyball Complex, home of beach volleyball
- Sikes Field, home of the softball team
Hall of Fame
The Mercer Athletic Hall of Fame now consists of 167 members. These men and women made invaluable contributions to the University either participating as a student-athlete, coach or some other athletic-related capacity. View the members of this prestigious group.
Several exquisite cases display the history of Mercer Athletics in the foyer of the UC’s main entrance, just outside the arena. In addition to cases depicting historic moments in Mercer sports history, others are dedicated to recognizing each of the Athletic Hall of Fame members.