Message to Incoming Macon Traditional Students from President Underwood
July 16, 2020
As we look forward to coming together on campus this fall at Mercer University, we are dedicated to ensuring that you have a vibrant and meaningful residential, in-person college experience in a safe and healthy environment. Keeping that pledge in mind, we have been working diligently to prepare for your arrival to campus and in-person classes by implementing the appropriate protocols to limit exposure to COVID-19. The health and well-being of our students, faculty, and staff remains our top priority, hence our fall semester protocols for all campus locations are developed under the guidance of leading infectious disease experts in Mercer’s School of Medicine. This situation is dynamic and evolving, and correspondingly our response and policies may change as we receive new information from government authorities and health officials.
While respecting the rights of individuals, we must remain united as one Mercer community. We must unilaterally share the responsibility of taking the necessary steps to minimize the risk of COVID-19 infections throughout our campuses. As a Mercer family, we must all do our part to uphold and adhere to newly implemented protocols to respect others and support the health and safety of all as we welcome our incoming and returning students to campus in the fall.
Therefore, for the safety of all Mercerians, all Macon undergraduate students are required to be tested for the SARS-CoV-2 infection (COVID-19). Students may choose from the following testing options:
- We encourage you to be tested prior to coming to campus in your hometown by a clinical testing provider within 10 days of your move-in date and communicate your test results to Mercer Medicine by August 12. Email your test results, with “COVID Test” in the subject line, to email@example.com. Based on those results, Mercer Medicine will issue an email to you giving you clearance to come onto campus.
- Or, you may choose to receive your COVID-19 test through Mercer Medicine on the date you are scheduled to move into campus housing. You will be required to report to the University Center 30 minutes prior to your assigned move-in time that will be provided by the Office of Housing and Residence Life (OHRL). You will receive your move-in time and instructions from OHRL today!
- If you have already been tested and tested positive, you will most likely not need to be tested again. However, you must contact Mercer Medicine at (478) 301-2696 to receive an email clearance to come onto campus, regardless of the test result.
- For those incoming students without a housing assignment and who choose to be tested through Mercer Medicine, we will send you a follow-up email outlining procedures for scheduling a test.
- Please note that in the case when students do test positive when they move in, we have designated isolation areas on campus and have already made accommodations for them so they will not get behind academically.
Students who are not cleared by Mercer Medicine will not be allowed to come onto campus.
We encourage you to follow these instructions within the specified timeline so that we can welcome all of you to campus safely.
We look forward to seeing you in the fall!