How To Become A Member
If becoming a member of an organization that will not only become a major part of your college years but the rest of your life interests you, check out Recruitment or Intake and GO GREEK!!
- Information on Panhellenic Recruitment, Panhellenic Recruitment Registration, and the Panhellenic Recruitment Schedule
- Chapters: Alpha Delta Pi, Alpha Gamma Delta, Phi Mu, Chi Omega
National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) organizations do not participate in the same Formal Recruitment process as Panhellenic and Interfraternity Council. Each chapter will hold Membership Intake at various times throughout the academic year.
- Chapters: Alpha Kappa Alpha, Delta Sigma Theta, Kappa Alpha Psi, Omega Psi Phi, Zeta Phi Beta, Phi Beta Sigma
Questions to ask a Chapter Member:
- Why should I join? What aspects of the chapter encouraged you to join?
- What are the financial obligations of a new member? Are there additional costs that members are required to pay other than the fees listed?
- How long is the new member program and how much time do I need to devote to it?
- What is the percentage of new members that get initiated in your fraternity or sorority?
- What other campus organizations have you had an opportunity to participate in as a result of your Greek experience?
- How does your chapter promote scholarship?
- In what ways is your chapter involved with philanthropies and community service?
- What types of activities are planned with other Greek organizations?
- What is the availability of housing and what are the rules pertaining to living in the sorority/fraternity house?
Advice for your decision:
- You must narrow your choices and ultimately decide which group you wish to join. The Greek organization that is best for your friends or family may not be the best one for you.
- Think about why you want to join a Greek organization. Are these qualities present in the groups that you are considering?
- Find the organization in which you feel most comfortable. Why do you feel comfortable in that particular group?
- Take a look around you. The men or women that you are standing with could be your brothers or sisters. What qualities do you share with these people? Do you feel comfortable with them?
- Ask questions! Get to know everything you can about each organization.
- Most importantly, be yourself! There are many diverse organizations that want to know you.
The Panhellenic Council governs the four sororities represented at Mercer that are members of the National Panhellenic Conference (NPC):
The Interfraternity Council (IFC) governs the eight fraternities represented at Mercer that are members of the North-American Interfraternity Conference, Fraternal Leadership Association or Phi Delta Theta:
- Alpha Tau Omega
- Kappa Alpha Order
- Kappa Sigma
- Lambda Chi Alpha
- Phi Delta Theta
- Pi Kappa Phi
- Sigma Alpha Epsilon
- Sigma Nu
National Pan-Hellenic Council
The National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) represents the three sororities and three fraternities at Mercer:
- Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.
- Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
- Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc.
- Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.
- Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc.
- Phi Beta Sigma, Inc.
For more information, please contact the Office of Campus Life